Chemicals & Plastics
The chemicals and plastics industry sector is one of Europe`s main industries, comprising such different industries as petrochemicals, inorganic basics (base chemicals), consumer chemicals, polymers, fertilizers, industrial gases or speciality chemicals. The big industrial users of chemicals are sectors like rubber & plastics, construction, pulp & paper and the automotive industry.
Economically successful though it is, the chemical industry faces major challenges closely related to compliance issues like REACH regulations, food and consumer safety and the European circular economy package, specifically for the plastics sector. Ongoing efforts to target climate change – particularly since the COP 21 Paris agreements – will lead to more ambitious political targets and perhaps upcoming carbon taxes. Voluntary commitments like Responsible Care or SUSCHEM have to be adapted accordingly.
Image risks are littering and marine littering and specific risks in food and consumer protection, frequently based on emotions rather than facts. Therefore, it is essential that independent and neutral sources are used for analysing the environment of facts and communicating the benefits of the chemical sector’s products.
What we offer
denkstatt provides strong support in assessing environmental impacts and fulfilling different reporting standards like the Carbon Disclosure Project, Science Based Targets or sustainability reporting according to GRI standards. A wide range of methods for
- Carbon & Water Footprinting
- Life Cycle Assessment
- Total Impact Assessment and
- Environmental Labelling
enable us to carefully compare different products and materials including use phase and end of life aspects. Mapping UN sustainability goals with relevance for the chemical industry is a valuable add-on.
- Comparative life cycle assessment (LCA) for plastics and alternatives in every market sector like packaging, building, automotive, electrical and agriculture, e.g. data and facts using the methodology of life cycle assessment has provided strong support for introducing egg packaging devices derived from PET recycling material in the US, UK and Austrian markets (Ovotherm GmbH)
- Multi stakeholder projects on how packaging prevents food losses
- Optimisation and strategic consulting of a packaging recovery system in Austrian for Altstoff Recycling Austria AG (ARA)
- Numerous carbon footprints for products like cans, bottles, …., adhesives and other materials
- Monitoring of the Austrian Sustainability Agenda for beverage packaging over the last ten years
(International association for the nonwovens and related industries)
Global Silicones Council